The mission of Howard Area Leadership Academy is to provide positive opportunities for students who have had limited success in traditional high schools to gain the significant academic skills, social skills, cultural awareness and self-awareness needed to transition to college or other forms of higher learning while contributing to society.
The Leadership Academy opened its doors in 1996 and is one of 23 schools that comprise the Youth Connection Charter School. In 2000, the school became state recognized by the Illinois State Board of Education, and in 2005 it first achieved accreditation through North Central Association (NCA) Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. To reach this status, schools must meet high standards, be evaluated by a team of professionals from outside of the school, and implement a continuous school improvement plan focused on increasing student performance. The accreditation process is voluntary and requires annual review. In 2011, the Leadership Academy successfully passed NCA’s re-accreditation review.
The school is credit-based and offers the core academic subjects as well as computer instruction. The curriculum is tied to state learning standards. Classes operate five days a week during the regular school year plus a summer session. An after-school component offers a variety of recreational and academic opportunities to further assist young people to build their skills and obtain the support they need to succeed.
- Must be between 16-20 years of age.
- Must be a resident of the City of Chicago. Must not currently be enrolled in high school.
- Must perform at a 6th grade level in reading and math, or on a limited basis, be willing to accept remediation to grade reading and math levels.
- Must be willing to take a TABE test, attend pre-enrollment orientation and interviews, and sign a probationary attendance contract.
- The school has the capacity to serve 120 students.
- Last year, 18 students graduated and made the transition to college, vocational school or employment.
- Over 90% of students eligible to graduate in a given academic year successfully complete their coursework and earn a diploma.
Contact the Howard Area Leadership Academy at (773) 381-0366 for more information.