The mission of Howard Area Community Center is to assist low-income individuals and families in the greater Rogers Park and adjacent communities to stabilize their lives and to develop the social skills necessary to become effective community members. In order to accomplish this mission, the agency’s programs provide emergency intervention, family stabilization, and promote developmental growth.
Join us on Facebook to find out about upcoming events and programs!
- Offers year-round on-site care and education to 116 children at our NAEYC-accredited Sheila Reynolds Berner Family Center.
- Family Support Workers provide support and education to expectant parents and families with young children.
- Assists over 500 adults annually to improve their basic literacy skills and workforce readiness.
- Our computer lab provides over 3,000 additional visitors with internet access to search and apply for jobs.
- Provides academic and enrichment activities for more than 350 youth in the Rogers Park area through a combination of school-based and community-based programs.
- Helps clients achieve stability in housing, health and safety. Our Dental Clinic is one of the few in Chicago serving un-insured children and patients with HIV/AIDS. Clients in crisis can receive emergency assistance with rent and utilities in addition to visiting our Food Pantry.
For locations and contact information for all of our programs, visit the Contact page.
A Chicago Leader
As a leader among Chicago human services agencies, we offer several exclusive initiatives including one of the only Early Head Start programs on Chicago’s north side and a proprietary curriculum guiding ex-offenders as they seek employment. The organization was also selected as one of only four Chicago-area centers to host the Computer Clubhouse, where young people explore digital creativity while learning cutting-edge technology.
Click below to download the most recent Howard Area Community Center Annual Report as a PDF.